Thursday, December 03, 2009

Chat with Charlie | by Pat

Charlie has been understandably quiet since his dismissal, and until he speaks to the media, it's hard to guess what he might say in a farewell address. In the meantime, the South Bend Tribune reported some recent Charlie quotes via WR commit Daniel Smith.

You get to the point where you don't want to answer your phone,” the Northern Indiana Conference Player of the Year said. “But when I saw it was him, it was just great to hear from him. I tried to thank him for putting me in the position I am today.

“He told me, ‘You earned this.' And he said, ‘Don't let my situation change your decision to go to the university.'

“He told me I made the right decision then, and it's still the right decision. He told me to give it everything you have and encouraged me to work hard for the new coach, and that I'm going to make an impact as soon as I hit campus.”
It had to have been pretty hard for Charlie, a prideful guy to begin with, to be dismissed from his alma mater. Hopefully the kinds of things he said to Smith are similar to what he'll say when the microphones are in front of him.