Monday, December 06, 2004

Fassel wants to remain in NFL | by Michael

My guess is he's holding out for an NFL job. I'm a little surprised that he didn't at least meet with Stanford, where he goes way back (he coached Elway). His unimpressive stint as the head coach of Utah from '85-'89 must not be giving him any warm fuzzy feelings about returning to campus.

Coach wants to remain in NFL
ESPN.com news services

Jim Fassel told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Monday that he is not interested in any college coaching job, including Notre Dame and Stanford. Fassel is staying focused on remaining in the NFL.

Fassel, 55, confirmed that there had been dialogue with Stanford but said the reports about Notre Dame were "absolutely unfounded."

"My attorney is a Notre Dame grad, so they're confusing him with me," Fassel joked. "In fact he called me last night about the rumor in me being interested in Notre Dame and somebody called him to see if I was intersted. The answer is no, respectfully.

"I also informed Stanford today that I'm not interested in their opening," he added.

The Chicago Tribune reported Monday that, according to a friend and former associate of the coach's, Fassel was interested in restoring Notre Dame to glory. The Trib also said that Stanford, while interested, may not have the monetary resources necessary to sign a former NFL head coach.

Fassel became head coach of the New York Giants in 1997, leading the team to the Super Bowl in 2001, and was fired at the end of the 2003 season. He was the Arizona Cardinals' offensive coordinator before leaving for New York and this season is a senior offensive consultant to the Baltimore Ravens, the team his Giants lost to in the Super Bowl.