Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bowl Season...A Trivial Matter | by Pat

It's Finals Week at Notre Dame, so sharpen your pencils and turn off all cellphones. Here's your take home exam for Notre Dame Bowl History 101. Please show your work and remember, search engines are against the Honor Code.

1. What was Notre Dame's last bowl win?

2. What was Notre Dame's first bowl game? Did they win?

3. We know about the bowl losing streak. What was ND's longest bowl winning streak?

4. How many times did ND play the #1 team in the country (per AP poll) in a bowl game?

5. Not counting the upcoming Hawaii Bowl, how many different Bowls has ND played in?

a. 6
b. 7
c. 9
d. 10
6. What Bowl game has Notre Dame played in the most?

7. Which Notre Dame Bowl game had the highest attendance?

8. When ND reentered the bowl scene in 1970, what was the financial justification?
a. new construction on campus
b. women's sports
c. minority scholarships
d. new equipment for the band
9. Of the 19 different teams that Notre Dame has played in a bowl game, three opponents have been played three separate times. Name them.

10. What ND player said this about his final bowl game?
"I didn’t have much to say after the game. I was in no shape to talk. Or walk. I was so bruised, so cut up I was a scab from elbow to elbow, from knee to knee – they literally had to cut my pants off."

"By the time I got back to the hotel, after the trainers and the doctors got through with me, all my teammates had gone out, and I had no idea where they were. So I sat in the hallway of the hotel, all alone with a case of beer, and celebrated the end of my college career."
Extra Credit:

What will be the final score of the 2008 Hawaii Bowl?