Saturday, January 06, 2007

Carlson to Return | by Pat

Some good news following the Sugar Bowl debacle; tight end John Carlson has confirmed that he will be returning to South Bend for his final year of eligibility.

“I just decided I wasn’t ready to take the next step,” said Carlson, by cell phone while attending his father’s Litchfield’s boys basketball game at Delano Friday night.

“It’s a great situation where I’m at. I’ve got a wonderful opportunity to play another year of football at Notre Dame. I felt this was the best decision for me.”

Many thought that the injury to Carlson's knee in the Air Force game might have helped him decide to return, but according to Carlson, the injury didn't really matter.

“I don’t think the injury made a difference in my decision,” said Carlson. “Even if I would have had good stats in those two games I missed, I don’t think it would have made a difference.”

Carlson feels he had a better chance of being a higher draft pick with another season of college football under his belt.

“I kind of felt all along I would come back,” he said. “But I never wanted to make the decision until the end of the season. Money was never a factor in my decision. I thought about injuries and all the other things and if (playing in the NFL) is meant to be, it will be.”

It's great news for the Irish offense that will be losing a lot of starters and I'm sure our next starting QB is thrilled that he'll have an All-American caliber tight end as a target in the passing game.