We're gonna have a contest! For the first time ever we've got some swag to give away. Suzanne Dobson of A&E Home Video sent us a couple of promotional copies of a terrific new DVD box set that hasn't even been released yet: The University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Collector's Edition, College Football's Greatest Games! This eight-DVD set includes the complete telecasts of some of the greatest games in ND history:
• Southern Cal, 1977: the "Green Jersey" GameThe set also includes over two hours of vintage highlight films, original radio calls for key plays featuring play-along video function, and an "interactive sleeve design" featuring team rosters, trivia, key facts, and statistics.
• The 1978 Cotton Bowl vs Texas - National Champs!
• The 1979 Cotton Bowl vs Houston - the "Chicken Soup" Game
• ND-Miami, 1988: "Catholics vs Convicts"
• The 1989 Fiesta Bowl vs West Virginia - National Champs!
• Penn State, 1992: the "Snow Bowl"
• Florida State, 1993: #1 vs #2
• And a bonus, the complete second half (the only surviving footage) to the 1966 ND-Michigan State "Game of the Century"
So how do you win one of these babies? Simple:
Come up with a good post for BGS!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to write something that you think would make a nice addition to the site. If you've been reading the blog for a while you know we've covered a lot of ground and done lots of different types of posts: historical pieces, statistical analysis, game reports, satire, personal reflections and all kinds of other stuff. We're leaving the subject matter up to you, with just a few criteria: your entry should have something to do with Notre Dame, should be long enough to make it a substantial post (how long exactly, we're not sure, but probably at least 1,500 words -- unless it's a piece of original artwork), and should be in to us via the BGS mailbox by December 15th. Oh, and it should be creative and interesting and entertaining and brilliant.
That's about it. We'll read 'em, judge 'em, and announce the two winners sometime before Christmas. And of course, we'll publish the winning posts.
Any questions or clarifications? Hit us up in the comments. And get crackin'!