Monday, May 15, 2006

Roberts out? | by Jay

Per Teddy Greenstein in the Chicago Trib:

Hall of Fame radio play-by-play announcer Tony Roberts is out after calling Notre Dame games for 26 years.

"They fired me," Roberts said. "For no cause."

Roberts, who learned of the decision Monday from an executive at Westwood One Radio, said he would be replaced by veteran broadcaster and Notre Dame alumnus Don Criqui. Analyst Allen Pinkett, who had worked with Roberts since 2002, has been retained.

"It was a great run and I'm sorry it's over," Roberts said. "I always wanted to walk away from it under my terms."
Shocking news, and ironic, considering he just won an award last year from the College Hall of Fame. (Some classic clips in that link, by the way).

I'm sure we'll get more details soon.

Update: here's the press release from Westwood One. Lots on Criqui; not much on Roberts.